One girl's quest to prove that it is, indeed, a wonderful life.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Salad is for the Beautiful People


I've never been able to get very jazzed about salad---it just never seemed like a stand-alone meal to me. And whenever I ate it paired with an entree, it felt like a lame afterthought. An also-ran. A space filler.

But I've been putting away a lot of burgers and pizza and frozen treats lately.(And not even frozen yogurt or juice bars, people. I'm talkin' about full-fat ice cream and gelato.) So I'm going on a little salad and smoothie kick until I stop feeling like the Michelin Man.

There's a very chic salad spot near my office, and the line has been out the door ever since it opened. But it's not your typical assembly of FiDi schmoes grabbing lunch on the go. No, it's more like a queue of supermodels waiting in the wings at a Karl Lagerfeld runway show. I kid you not. Just about everyone in there is scary-beautiful. Even the chefs who sling the romaine look like something out of an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog.

I am intrigued. Does the regular consumption of leafy greens promote pulchritude? Is organic produce the natural prey of the wily Downtowna hotticus? I may have to eat a lot of salad to find out. Scientific progress demands sacrifices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home