One girl's quest to prove that it is, indeed, a wonderful life.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Philosophia

When I was a freshman in high school, I had a really cool algebra teacher, Mr. Sturges. During the last ten minutes of class, when the other kids were goofing off and I had my nose in a book, he would often come over to my desk and ask, "What's your philosophy of life?" And I'd be like, "Um...I'm 14. I don't have a philosophy of life." But he never stopped asking, and now that I'm twice as old as the girl in that desk, I'm starting to think that I should come up with a proper answer for him. And for me. I'll post it here when I figure it out. In the meantime, I feel compelled to share two business philosophies that I really dig: one from publisher Alfred A. Knopf, which ran as an ad in the November 1957 issue of the Atlantic Monthly, and one from ceramist/designer/bon vivant Jonathan Adler, which you can find painted on the walls of his store.

The Borzoi Credo
I believe that a publisher's imprint means something, and that if readers paid more attention to the publisher of the books they buy, their chances of being disappointed would be infinitely less.

I believe that good books should be well made, and I try to give every book I publish a format that is distinctive and attractive.

I believe that I have never published an unworthy book.

I believe that a publisher has a moral as well as a commercial obligation to his authors to try in every way to promote the sales of their books, to keep them in print, and to enhance his author's prestige.

I believe that a review by an incompetent critic is a sin against the author, the book, the publisher, and the publication in which the review appears.

I believe that the basic need of the book business is not Madison Avenue ballyhoo, but more booksellers who love and understand books and who can communicate their enthusiasm to a waiting audience.

I believe that magazines, movies, television, and radio will never replace good books.

************************
The Jonathan Adler Manifesto

We believe that your home should make you happy.

We believe that when it comes to decorating, the wife is always right. Unless the husband is gay.

We believe in carbohydrates and to hell with the puffy consequences.

We believe minimalism is a bummer.

We believe handcrafted tchotchkes are life-enhancing.

We believe tassels are the earrings of the home.

We believe in our muses: David Hicks, Alexander Girard, Bonnie Cashin. Hans Coper, Gio Ponti,
Andy Warhol, Leroy Neiman, Yves Saint Laurent, and Madonna.

We believe in the innate chicness of red with brown.

We believe in being underdressed or overdressed always.

We believe in infantile, happy emblems like butterflies and hearts.

We believe celebrities should pay full price.

We believe in rustic modernism: Big Sur, A-Frame beach houses, raw beams, and geodesic dome homes.

We believe in Palm Beach style:
Louis chairs, chinoiserie, Lilly Pulitzer, The Breakers circa '72.

We believe our designs are award winning even though they've never actually won any.

We believe in Aid to Artisans.

We believe dogs should be allowed in stores and restaurants.

We believe in mantiques - suits of armour, worn chesterfield sofas, heraldic tapestries.

We believe you should throw out your Blackberry and go pick some actual
blackberries.

We believe colors can't clash.

We believe in blowing your nest egg on our pots.

3 Comments:

Blogger Arethusa said...

The publisher one made me teary. I BELIEVE!

9:53 AM

 
Blogger Tiffany said...

Sturges rocked. Plus he was a major hottie with the tight jeans, shaven head, and bow-legged strut.

11:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Adler's blatant honesty in the last statement: "We believe in blowing your nest egg on our pots."

8:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home