One girl's quest to prove that it is, indeed, a wonderful life.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Crush Groove

For the past few weeks, I've been attending a small group/Bible study affiliated with my church. I like it a lot. This is due in no small part to the fact that my group has many men. Cute, Christian men who are my age and sport totally naked ring fingers. They all have interesting, smart-guy jobs. And they surf! They hike. They careen down snowy mountains. They organize charitable events that benefit the homeless. Sometimes they huddle in corners and mutter about their business ideas. Anyway, one of these fellows in particular has caught my eye. And now I can't stop thinking about him. (Or, sadly, Google-stalking him.)

Ladies and gentlemen, I have...a crush.

I know y'all are all real grown-ups, so you don't have crushes---you have relationships. Marriages, even! And that's fully awesome. But do you remember crushes? Do you remember what nerve-racking, giddy fun they were?

The gentleman in question---whom I'll call, um, "Engi'dear"---won't be at small group tonight. He's away on business in some far-flung city. I won't get my next fix until our singles class before services on Sunday.

Oh, Engi'dear. If I were your woman, I would have helped you pick a great necktie to wear during your presentation. I would have tucked a happy little note in your carry-on next to your toothbrush, so you could read it in your hotel room at the end of a long day. I would have dropped you off and picked you up at the airport, despite my limited driving skills and woeful sense of direction.

But I'm not your woman, Engi'dear. So when your flight lands tomorrow night, you'll shell out the cash to liberate your car from long-term parking. And when you get home, maybe your roommate will remember to ask you how your presentation went. Then again, maybe he'll be engrossed in some television show, and he'll scarcely acknowledge your return. He almost certainly won't greet you at the door with a kiss.

But if he does, buddy, this crush is SO over. ;-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Helga said...

He needs to discover your fabulousness. Doesn't he know what he's missing??

3:00 PM

 
Blogger Kisa Konrad said...

You're back!

Of course, even we old married folks remember crushes and get giddy at the thought of them! Not being able to sleep, replaying conversations a million times in your head, looking for signs (even overturning boulders looking for them!), oh it's so much fun!

By the way, on the Google stalking...I think it's such a good idea! I'm amazed what it's possible to learn from a Google search, good and bad :O

Have fun crushing, gal. And you are amazingly brave when it comes to letting the crushes in on your fancy when the time is right, so I can't wait to hear how this plays out. Yay boys! (ahem...men.)

3:11 PM

 
Blogger sarah said...

Yay!

Oh, I'm all giddy with you.

And since I recently heard a Janet Jackson Old School Megamix, I now have "If I Was Your Girl" in my head.

7:53 AM

 
Blogger Suzanne said...

I hate crushing. It drives me insane. I no longer find it fun, only frustrating. I think I'm searching for "love at first sight" or some other kind of happenstance when you just KNOW. I'm a dreamer, and that's too bad - so unrealistic.

10:09 AM

 
Blogger Woocraft said...

ohhh, crushes were always so stressful for me...all that waiting and wondering and hoping I didn't seem to come on too strong, too weak, etc. Good thing I got married because I never knew how to work that game. Has you Modern Girl Guide provided any pearls of wisdom? Please share!

2:49 PM

 
Blogger Kisa Konrad said...

Anybody else hungry for a crush groove update?

Georgie, you're getting dangerously close to being labeled a tease ;)

9:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home