One girl's quest to prove that it is, indeed, a wonderful life.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Can I Get A Hug?

Yesterday, while I was waiting in a long line at the aforementioned shrine to salad, something odd happened. I was debating whether I really wanted to spend half an hour inching forward---for the privilege of buying a ten-dollar bowl of leaves---when the stranger behind me said in a sprightly voice:

"Can I get a hug?"

He kind of mumbled it, so I didn't quite understand him at first. And just as my brain was whipping out its decoder ring to decipher what he was saying, his own brain was registering my puzzled, unfamiliar face and sounding the alarm. Systems error! Retreat! Retreat!

He apologized profusely and explained that he worked in the office across the street, and from fifteen stories up I looked a lot like his cousin, so he had rushed down to greet me with a hug. Which I would not be getting now. He said he was sorry again, and then disappeared into the crush of people moving down the sidewalk.

All of which triggered the following thoughts about hugs:

1) I didn't hug anyone yesterday. I'll probably get a couple of hugs today, because I'm going to dinner and a play with some friends from work, and evening goodbyes usually include hugs. But after that I may not get a hug until the next time I visit San Jose, which could be weeks from now. That's craziness, people. If Kaiser Permanente really wanted people to thrive, they would station designated huggers throughout the city for the hugless among us.

2) Not all hugs are created equal. My friend Kisa, for example, is a world-class hugger. She always hugs you tight and close, and she's never the first to let go. No cursory back pats, no bump-and-runs. I should work on being a better hugger. I think it's a valuable skill to bring to any relationship.

3) Does anyone remember the video for "Every Day" by the Dave Matthews Band? It features a guy who walks through the streets of a city, offering hugs to everyone he encounters. Would you accept a hug from a stranger? Would you feel safer if that stranger was accompanied by a film crew?

4) For the ladies: I read an interview recently with neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine, who just published a book on women's brains. Here are her two cents on women and hugs:

Research shows that the female brain naturally releases oxytocin after a 20-second hug. The embrace bonds the huggers and triggers the brain's trust circuits. So Brizendine advises, don't let a guy hug you unless you plan to trust him.
"And if you do," she said, "make sure it lasts 20 seconds."

If you have huggy thoughts to share, please do. And then go hug somebody.

6 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I need a hug. By the way - sorry about missing your birthday BBQ. Kjerste tells me it was fabu. I'm sending you a BIG HUG right now *SQUEEZE!*

9:25 AM

 
Blogger sarah said...

Right after I moved to Oakland, I was feeling so stressed...I kept getting lost...I missed the city...I was worried about my new roommates...I stopped in to Peet's on Piedmont Ave for some coffee and had to wait forever. The place was a madhouse. When I finally got my coffee, I proceeded to KNOCK IT ALL OVER the sugar bar thing. I was about to just run out of the store crying, but a nearby Peet's employ told me she'd take care of it, AND THEN SHE HUGGED ME. She said it looked like I needed one. And I did.

I told the story to the guys in my office the next day, and they both asked "so which Peet's was this again?"

9:28 AM

 
Blogger Tamika said...

No worries! Kjerste told me you were illin', and the Gorey illustrations on your blog say it all. I wish you a speedy return to good health. Bridge to Bridge, baby!

10:52 AM

 
Blogger Woocraft said...

*HUG*
I think twiggy people like me are (unfairly) less effective as huggers since we can't swallow people into the softness the way others do. I'm always self conscious that people won't like my bones. :(

2:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, I must send out my apologies for missing your fete - wedding stuff called. However, we should lunch. And by that I mean I would like to take you out to lunch, as we're work neighbors now. And by that I also mean that I will give you a hug once our lunch date is over.
-Arethusa

9:10 AM

 
Blogger Kisa Konrad said...

Tamika, you sweetie. I was reading your blog, and just the thought of somebody asking for a hug and then retracting the request made me want to cry. The thought of hugging in general made me want to cry (that time of the month, you ask? Yes, but that's beside the point). Hugs are just the best. Then I got to what you said about my hugs, and that just made me smile and want to hug you. I agree with woocraft (Wendy?)--the squishiness factor might be contributing to your feelings on that one :)

And I wanted to share this sad, sad story. **Background info** Okay, so I'm in a graduate program in psychology to become a therapist (one day far far in the future). As part of the program, we are to participate in therapy. It's a good idea...how can we be therapists if we've never experienced the process? So I started seeing this therapist about a year ago and continued for maybe 5 months. I decided to stop going after that time for a few reasons, including money, wanting to experience a different treatment modality, feeling like therapy was a luxury for people who have too much time to think about themselves and having internal conflicts about that, etc. My therapist was aware of my decision, and after I told her I'd be quitting, we had one final question.

So. At the end of that final session, we were standing together at the door, and I felt like it was a hug kind of moment. Now, we had never hugged before, but this was an ending, and I'd shared a lot with her, and I don't know it just seemed like the right thing to do. So the conversation went like this: Me (somewhat sheepishly): Could I hug you? Her (uncomfortably shifting): Um, I don't *do* that (her emphasis on "do").

And that was the last thing my therapist ever said to me, except for good luck, nice to know you, that sort of thing. Talk about sad. Although I knew better (that she probably had such boundaries to protect herself from being sued for some reason), I walked away feeling like The Plague. Boooooo!!

I'm FOR hugs, all the way around. The pro-hug platform. And I'm sending you and fatty one right now.

10:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home