One girl's quest to prove that it is, indeed, a wonderful life.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

From the Jaw-Dropper Files

My dear friend Carli just tipped me off to this crazy story about how the newest edition of "Survivor" will divide the respective "tribes" or teams by race. Personally, I haven't tuned in to "Survivor" since season two---this is now, unbelievably, season 13---and this stunt doesn't exactly make me wanna return to the fold. After I initially recoiled in horror, my second thought was, "Am I just having some sort of knee-jerk P.C. reaction to this? Maybe it's not a big deal." One thing's for sure---the ratings for this all-but-forgotten show are about to go through the roof. I just don't think anything good will come of this for the folks who aren't making money off of it, although I'm willing to entertain dissenting opinions. Speak your piece.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contests where ethnic groups compete against each other such as the Olympics are not controversial. Olympic athletes in the modern era represent their nations based on merit.

The producer states: "We're smart enough to have gotten rid of every racist person in casting." I infer he is smart enough to engineer a sponsor appealing result.

This is our "diverse" group of Americans.

9 / 20 from Los Angeles (45%)
13 / 20 from California (65%)

This is a "diverse" group of Americans?

9:58 PM

 
Blogger sarah said...

So on the morning radio show I listen to...OKAY, it's Alice, not NPR or something worthy...but they brought up the fact that maybe the uncomfortable part is that you don't know which team to cheer for.

Personally, I vote for NorCal. That gives me 20% odds, right? I don't even want to know what race they are...

9:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home